Minor in Possession Lawyer

Chico Minor in Possession Lawyer Michael Erpino
Minor in Possession Attorney Michael Erpino

Call Today 530-898-1111

California Business and Professions (BP) Code section 25662 states that “any person under the age of 21 years who has any alcoholic beverage in his or her possession on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to the public is guilty of a misdemeanor.” California Vehicle Code Section 13202.5 states that when a person is convicted of violating BP 25662, “the court shall suspend the person’s driving privilege for one year.”

You Will Lose Your License to Drive
If you plead guilty or “no contest,” or if you are convicted of being a Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP), you will lose your license to drive for one year. The Court will send proof of your MIP conviction to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); they will suspend your license, and then make it very difficult to get it back. It will not matter to the DMV if you have to drive to school, work, or both. Your only hope may be to petition the Court for a restricted license.

Consider Fighting Your Case
If you’re under 21 and get a ticket for possessing alcohol, call us today for a free consultation with an experienced Minor in Possession Lawyer. If you have a defense we may me able to fight your case. For example, if you were not under 21, if you did not possess alcohol, or if you were not in a “public place” or a “place open to the public,” then you might be not guilty of the MIP charge despite what the officer says. Never plead guilty or no contest without first seeing the police report and any other evidence the Government has against you and making sure the evidence is there.

Protect Your DMV Record
In addition to losing your license for one year, the MIP suspension on your DMV record will be used against you in the future if you are charged with another alcohol offense, or any other offense that affects your license to drive. You may also face substantial increases in the cost of your vehicle insurance because of the conviction Additionally, you could be denied certain jobs or licenses. Understanding the full consequences of a conviction for Minor in Possession of Alcohol includes what happens to your driving record at DMV.

Court Trials Versus Jury Trials
If you do not want to plead “Guilty” or “No Contest” you have the right to a trial. If you are charged with an infraction, you have the right to a Court Trial and that means that a Judge hears the evidence and decides if you are guilty, not a Jury. If you are charged with a misdemeanor MIP you have the right to a Jury Trial where twelve people from the community hear the evidence and decide the facts. In any trial you have the right to see, hear, and challenge all of the evidence the State has against you. Call us today to discuss your case with an experienced Minor in Possession Lawyer

Know Your Rights
There are too many bad consequences to a conviction for Minor in Possession to make mistakes in Court. You should fully understand your Rights, the evidence against you, and your options when you are charged with MIP or any crime. We can help you through the Court process and fight to protect your Rights, and in most cases you will never have to go to court.

Minor in Possession Lawyer
If fighting your case is not an option you may be eligible for a Restricted License to Drive that allows you to drive for certain purposes. If you’re facing MIP charges meet with an experienced Minor in Possession Lawyer to discuss all of your options. Call Today (530) 898-1111.

Free Consultations

(530) 898-1111