Juvenile Criminal Defense

Juvenile Defense Attorney Chris Caraway
Juvenile Defense Attorney Chris Caraway

Call Today 530-898-1111

If your Child is arrested or charged with any crime you need an experienced Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer. Call my office today (530) 898-1111 for a free consultation to discuss your Child’s situation and options. I represent Juvenile Clients accused of any Felony and Misdemeanor charges, including Driving Under the Influence.

Many Criminal Defense Lawyers practice only in Adult Court. They rarely handle Juvenile Cases and therefore lack the experience and knowledge to effectively represent Children in Juvenile Court. Rules and procedures in Juvenile Court are much different than in Adult Court. For example, Children in Juvenile Court are not entitled to a Jury Trial.

A Criminal Jury Trial in Adult Court requires 12 people from the community to sit and hear the evidence against the accused. All 12 must find beyond a reasonable doubt that the Government has proved the charges. In contrast, Children in Juvenile Court are entitled only to a Court Trial. In a Court Trial a Judge or Commissioner hears the evidence and then decides guilt.

Another major difference is that Juveniles do not have to right to post bail to be released when they are held in custody. Adults in most cases can pay money to be released from jail while their case is pending. Children must remain in custody in Juvenile Hall while their case is pending unless a Judge or Commissioner agrees to release them. All Children charged with a crime have the right to a Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorney.

The professed goal of the Juvenile Justice system is rehabilitation, as opposed to punishment. There are numerous California Welfare and Institution code sections that apply only to Juvenile Criminal cases. An experienced Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer can effectively navigating these code sections to protect the rights of your Child.

You should also be aware that Prosecutors in California can force your Child to face Criminal charges in Adult Court if your Child is charged with a serous crime. In Adult Court the consequences can be much more severe. Moving a juvenile case to the adult court happens when a child is charged with any crime listed in Welfare and Institutions Code section 707(b). If your child is facing any serious charges you need an Experienced Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorney now.

If your child is arrested or charged with a crime, or if a law enforcement wants to “talk” with your child about a potential crime, you need the advice of an Experienced Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorney immediately. Call my office today at (530) 898-1111 to schedule a free consultation.

Free Consultations

(530) 898-1111